If you want a decadent dessert, you’ve come to the right place. Not only are these incredible cookies moist and delicious, they get you HIGH!
Look who’s getting fancy. These cookies may seem complicated to prepare, but that’s not really the case. Little wafers of sweetness are filled with apricot jam and almond-y marzipan. Simple! And the taste? Out of this world!
Makes 24 sandwich cookies
Vegetable shortening, for greasing the baking sheets
½ cup Buddha Budda, slightly softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
5 tablespoons apricot jam
7 ounces marzipan
¾ cup powdered sugar
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
4 ounces chopped salted pistachios, for garnish
- Prepare the cookies: Grease two baking sheets with vegetable shortening, or line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the Buddha Budda and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and lemon juice. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour, and mix until combined. If the dough is dry, stir in 1 teaspoon water. Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface until it is about 1/16 inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut circles from the dough; reroll the trimmings until all the dough has been used. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a small saucepan, warm the apricot jam over medium heat until melted. Press the jam through a sieve into a bowl. Place a heaping ¼ teaspoon of the jam onto half of the cooled cookies, spreading the jam to the edges.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, combine the marzipan with ¼ cup of the powdered sugar and beat on medium speed until well blended. Gather it into a ball and flatten. Dust a work surface with the remaining powdered sugar and roll out the marzipan mixture until it is about ⅛ inch thick. Cut out circles, using the same cookie cutter you used for the dough. Gently press the marzipan circles over the jam on the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top and press them lightly together. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack set over a sheet of parchment paper.
- Prepare the glaze: In the top section of a double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening over simmering water until smooth. Pour the chocolate into a spouted measuring cup and pour a little over each cookie, covering the top and allowing some to drip down the sides. Sprinkle the pistachios evenly over all the cookies before the chocolate sets. Let set.
- Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you are going to freeze these, don’t fill the cookies. Defrost and then fill them.
Reprinted by permission of Penguin Random House from Sweet Mary Jane by Karin Lazarus. Marijuana is a controlled substance whose use is strictly regulated in North America and elsewhere. The Publisher does not advocate or encourage anyone to break the law and is not responsible for any damage or injury resulting from the use of these recipes.
Photos: Povy Kendal Atchison, Sweet Mary Jane, Karin Lazarus and Penguin Random House